CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, November 06, 2008

aaahhhhhhh *sigh of relief*

It is strange how life gives you those simple reminders that you're doing the right thing. I was certain that my attitude for one class was less than positively radiant, and I felt guilty for this. I was worried that my instructor would take on the burden that my dissatisfaction and frustration was partly her fault, but of course it wasn't. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of work I still need to do in the 39 days and 20 hours left until The End, and I may have reflected this in my weekly update to her.

Thankfully, I had an opportunity to clarify my "concept of nursing" with her at my mid term meeting, and at the end of our meeting, she gave me one of the most heartfelt and sincere comments any nursing instructor gave me. She said that I may be quiet during our small group discussions and class, but when I do contribute to the group discussion, she feels that what I say is thoughtful and meaningful. She continued to say that this trait is very important for nurses to have because it lets patients feel as if they are being listened to.

Through all of the agony endured in my five and a half year stint as a student, these infrequent but memorable experiences remind me that I am doing something right and will one day be a successful professional in the career that I have invested so much emotional energy in. Thank you, comment givers, for helping me (and many others) see that glaring light at the end of the tunnel.

Maya Angelou once said, "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

No comments: