CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Hikin' the "M" and other news

So, I finally did it. I hiked up the M trail. For those of you who aren't familiar with Bozeman or mountain communities, they put big letters up signifying the name of the town, in our case, there is a big M on the side of the mountain that stands for "Montana State College" (it was later changed to the current name of M.S. University). Rumor has it that there is a "B" for Bozeman somewhere, but I have yet to see it. But, back to the story. The very first week that I ever came out to Montana, Tony and I had tried to hike the M trail, but only got less than half way up and were panting. We gave up, and I gave up trying again because it had kicked my butt. I think the altitude change played a major factor in why we couldn't hike this relatively easy trail.

But this afternoon, Nate and I hiked it with Cadence (pictures to follow soon). Man it was a breeze! I could not believe how much easier it had been this time around and it isn't because I'm in better shape physically just cardiovascularly. It is kind of wierd being at the M and seeing how small it actually is. From a distance, the thing looks huge! I would say that it is shorter than a two-story building.

In other interesting information, school is going to end soon. :' ( (Don't be fooled, those are not tears of sadness.) I'm ready to start my actual nursing training. I feel kind of like a poser because I haven't done anything yet. I know it will come sooner than I imagine, though. It is kind of weird because a lot of the people I started school with are going to graduate either this semester or next. It is okay though because I don't have nearly as much debt than if I wouldn't have gained MT residency and stayed "on track." I'm also excited for next semester because I'm taking two extra classes along with my first clinicals that seeem to be very interesting. One, a sign language course (Signing Exact English) is being offered for the very first time, but it teaches you up to the level that most school teachers need to have. This is something that I've always wanted to be able to do. I was actually considering going to Great Falls for U.D. because they have an elementary school for the deaf, and their hospital is more pediatric centered. (Too bad the town is so crappy and flat.) The other course I'm taking is History of War, Vietnam Era. Another one of those 300 level courses (junior standing) that 'requires' prereqs that I don't have, but I was still able to register for it. I'm debating taking this course for audit because I"m going to have 17 credits, and I would like to do well in my nursing classes. I have found that if I have a very hectic schedule, I stay on task easier and get more studying done than if I have a pansy 12 credits.

That stupid J-O-B word. Well, I didn't get that pharmacy tech spot, but then I had an in to a medical receptionist job, and a lady applied with experience, so I didn't get that job, but the doctors/owners who interviewed me said that come September when they start more research/testing with new flu vaccines they will call me up. So, I applied for another excellent job as a gardener/nursery help. Starting pay is 12/hour with a raise after a month, and an end of season bonus for .50/hour if you stay throughout the season. I find out tomorrow whether I got that job or not. I currently am working (very sporadically) for the Hampton Inn as a laundry folder. I actually like it. I'm supposed to be there to do some new type of bedding they were supposed to have in a freakin' month ago.

Pool: :' ( That is a tear of sadness. We played our big end of season tournament to see if we could get a paid trip to Las Vegas, and we lost. I played some really good pool. (Okay, there were obviously some bad shots, but overall, I did really well.) It was so close. We ended up having to play the team three times. Once in the semifinals, and twice at the final match because they had to beat us twice since we hadn't lost. I should have made my last shot on my last game. I know we would have been up more if I had, and it could have been easier, actually, I really blame myself a lot. It was an easy out. Two freakin balls with ball in hand. TWO BALLS! Made one, didn't make the one that mattered, the 8. I guess I should be a little easier on myself because this was my very first year of playing in league. I think that I will be that much better by next year, but that does me little good because I will be in Missoula for half of it! Anyways, on a side note of pool, the best male player in the state of Montana asked me to be his partner for a mixed doubles tournament. Holy cow! I honestly didn't know what to say when he asked because I didn't want to upset him... (the case of Nate and all of the tournaments we played in together) if I didn't play well. But I said yes thinking he knows what he is dealing with.

I have to do what I came to do in the library, study. I have a music theory test tomorrow. It will be easy, but I don't know which chords have certain accidentals, so I'll have to memorize them.

No comments: